The Chesapeake Building, located at 1701 North Charles Street at the corner of Lanvale Street, was purchased from the City of Baltimore through the Baltimore Development Corporation in 2010 by Station North Development Partners and renovated by SA+A Development, both Ernst Valery partnerships. Funding assistance was provided through Ernst Valery Investments, The Reinvestment Fund and Stratford Capital.
On July 12, 2013, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake joined the development team and restaurateurs Mauro Daigle, Annie Baum-Stein, Dana Valery and Ernst Valery to celebrate the grand opening of The Chesapeake restaurant with a Ribbon Cutting event in the ground floor restaurant space. Attendees were served refreshments and a special lunch menu.
The opening of the Chesapeake restaurant was the first phase in the full renovation of this historic building, vacant since the original restaurant closed in the late 1980s. Full renovation was complete in 2014 and the building includes a second ground floor retail space which houses P&Q and Bodega restaurants, yoga studio, event and office spaces on the second floor, as well as apartments on the third floor. Committed to revitalization in the Station North neighborhood and Baltimore City as a whole, the developers are pleased to bring this corner back to life.